- 1/4 cup sticky rice
- 1/4 cup jasmine or basmati rice
- 3 cups of water/ chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp of ground ginger
- 1 cube of chicken stock (omit if using stock)
- 2 Tbsp of Chinese wine or dry sherry
- 4 or 5 pieces of chicken livers
- 2 medium shallots
- 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tsp of soy sauce
- 1 Tsp canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Garnishes per bowl:
- 1 Tbsp of fried onions
- 1 hand full of fresh spinach
- In a medium pot add water/stock, rice and ground ginger. Place on stove and bring to a boil.
- Once the pot is boiling lower the heat and add sherry or Chinese wine. Cook for 15 mins or until the rice is cooked
- Add shallots and livers. Cook on low heat for another 30 mins or until the congee is at the desired texture. Stir the pot periodically. To keep from burning at the bottom of the pot.
- Using a wooden spoon, break up some of the livers.
- In a small pan heat the oil until hot and add the mushrooms and soy sauce. Fry until the mushrooms are brown and cooked.
- Add cooked mushroom to the congee and stir. Turn off heat.
Add spinach to the bottom of the bowl and pour in the congee stir to mix and cook the spinach. Finish with a sprinkle of fried onions.
This recipe is sourced by Julie Le Pham, The Nourished Notebook