Mediterranean Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups vegetable stock (salt reduced)
- 2 cups water
- 400g diced ripe tomatoes
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400g cannellini or white beans
- 1 tbsp fresh, chopped parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté until tender, about 5 mins.
- Add the garlic, vegetable stock, water, tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, and beans.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese (weeks 2-4) and parsley.