- 2/3 to 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup or less gluten free rolled oats (you can also use this as a topping versus mix in, if you prefer).
- 2 –3 tbsp chia seed
- 8 oz (226 gms) coconut milk or almond milk (save extra for topping before serving)
- 1 –3 tbsp maple syrup or or honey (to taste)
- splash of lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp slivered or chopped nuts or seeds
- 1 tbsp cocoa nibs or dark chocolate chips
- Fruit of choice – berries, banana, kiwi fruit, etc. 1 cup or less.
- Toss fruit in a dash of lemon juice to keep fruit from browning. This is if preparing the power bowls a day ahead, for meal prep.
- Optional toppings or mix in – 1 tbsp creamy nut butter or plain yogurt to top.
1. First cook your quinoa according to package instructions. Or use leftover cooked quinoa. Brown rice or millet may be substituted.
2. In a large bowl, mix together 2/3 cup to 1 cup of cooked quinoa, optional oats, and chia seeds. Pour the milk on top to cover the grain/seed mix. Stir in sweetener (maple syrup or honey) and pinch of cinnamon.
3. Let this mix sit in the fridge for 30 minutes up to overnight. This mixture will thicken into a chia pudding like texture.
4. Once the grain/seed mix has thickened to your liking or you’re ready to eat, remove from fridge and layer with toppings: nuts, chocolate, oats, fruit, etc. Pour a splash more of non-dairy milk or honey on top, if desired.
5. Keeps well in fridge for up to 5 days. Makes for the perfect overnight (make ahead) breakfast bowl! You can also spoon portions into mason jars for breakfast on the go!