- garlic (and more garlic)
- Mushrooms – shiitake which are high in GABA
- fresh thyme
- uncooked long grain rice (can be replaced with Brown rice)
- green onions
This is super easy to make. Use pre-sliced mushrooms and it will save you even more time.
- First, you want to melt some butter in a pan and cook the mushrooms. We will include garlic in there, as well.
- Next, remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Melt more butter and fry the onions. Add more garlic, some fresh thyme, and rice.
- Stir in some broth – use your favorite, or whatever you have on hand; chicken broth, vegetable broth, or beef broth. You can also use water, but the dish won’t be as flavorful.
- Mix well, scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring it all to a simmer; turn heat down to Low and cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat; stir in the mushrooms and green onions.
- Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve. My mom likes to add more butter at this point, and that, well, makes everything taste that much BETTER. Of course…